Thursday, February 18, 2010

The start of a marathon....

Although I find it hard to believe that anybody gets as much enjoyment from Gavin Floyd's 12-6 curve ball drop as I do, today I am going to blog something different. I am going to dedicate today's blog to the official start of Pitchers and Catchers reporting to Spring Training. Today is the day where all 30 major league teams head to Arizona or Florida, thinking they have what it takes to be the last team standing in October. A time of year where players at all levels of their careers find out if they will be watching games from their couch or playing in the games them selves. This also is an exciting time in the year for a few other reasons; I can already smell the fresh aroma coming from the crowded concessions, I can already hear the cracking sound of the bat from a frozen rope landing into left center field, and who could forget the popping sound of the catchers mitt after some 98 mph heat. I know some people feel that the World Series just ended, and it is way too early for the 162 game marathon to start, me on the other hand looks forward to all 162 games. As it may not be a secret to anyone the Whitesox are my team, and because they are my team I have to show some love. I am calling it here, the Whitesox will be 2010-11 AL Central Champions. You may think this is a bold prediction, but I cant find another team that competes. With one of the top pitching staffs/ bullpens (key additions include Jake Peavy and J.J. Putz) in the American League, the Whitesox have what it takes to take the division by storm and possibly repeat 2005. Defense was a question for the Whitesox last year, but with additions in the outfield such as Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones the Whitesox have added some good gloves and hopefully arm strength in Andruw Jones. Also with another year of experience under their belts for middle infielders Alexi Ramierz and Gordon Beckham expect them to have much better years in the field. Also the Whitesox added young and talented 3rd baseman Mark Tehan from Kansas City early in this years off season. Tehan has a good glove and his bat has alot of pop to it. These are the small kind of moves that makes GM Kenny Williams one of the elite in the MLB.

Back to the main picture... I will say the one thing about the baseball season that does tend to annoy me is ESPN goes from Entertainment and Sports Programming Network to East coast Sports Programming Network. ESPN seems to forget about the other 28 teams and focuses on the Red Sox vs Yankee's as if they played each other 162 times a year. Not to take anything away from this great rivalry and two great franchises that have mass amounts of success over the years, not only in winning, but with fan bases and great players. I personally feel that ESPN has put this rivalry on a level that none can match.

All in all.... I am very excited for this years upcoming season, and would like wish all teams/players good luck.

-I will continue in-season sports talk with tomorrows post.

No comments:

Post a Comment